Tuesday, May 21, 2013

ONE YEAR! Week 52 total May 13-21, 2013


Tök jó volt a hetem.
(My week was awesome.)
So I know this is a day late. Pentacost was on Sunday... Which gave the entire country an excuse to make Monday a holiday with no work or school. Sweet.

The Zone Leader Council meeting in Budapest this week was grand. It was really interesting to be on the "other side" of things. Such as seeing how big decisions for the mission are made.
Elder Cox and I will be giving our first Zone Training tomorrow. We're really stoked and it's going to be under the topic of "Teach People, Not Lessons" and we're really going to emphasize the importance of questions. Questions are my absolute favorite thing. At the end of programs, I often times have people ask me, "what do you want to do for work when you go back to America?" and I always reply with, "I want to be a psychologist" and every single time they say something along the lines of, "that's what I was thinking" or "I feel that" or "I can tell" --I'm not sure yet if that's a good thing or a bad thing.
I was able to go on splits with the APs this week. Their apartment is absolutely incredible. They had actual door knobs! I hadn't seen those in ages. The only thing they have here in Europe are door handles. It was a thrill. Speaking of splits, I was also able to split with Elder Smith (one of my past companions) and it was a blast!
In some miraculous way, Elder Cox and I were able to get 14 new investigators this week. It was unbelievable. The number of new investigators for super standard is 3 in a week, if that gives you a little something to measure how crazy this was.
Speaking of such. Here's a little story:
We had a half hour before we needed to drive to where we were going to meet the other Elders for splits. After driving from one of our programs, dear Elder Cox fell asleep in the car. I drove to a random 10 story building, woke him up, and told him we were going to tract the building. As we went up to the top, we quickly discovered that this was the worst, nastiest, dirtiest, stinkiest, most run down building either of us have ever been in. I didn't know why I felt so good about it... but I did. About the 8th door we knock on is opened by a younger girl who lets us right in. We sit down in their living room and meet the mother, with her daughter (who let us in) and her son. We began talking to them and introducing ourselves and the church and the mom had the biggest smile on her face. After talking with them for a moment, she said, "I don't know if you'll believe this, but about 5 minutes before you two arrived here, I finished writing a letter to God and to the helping angels asking Him to send something, someone, anything that would help me and my family come closer to him and help other people." We were both kind of in shock and she preceded to pull out the piece of paper and show it to us. It was an incredible little letter and the end said, "please send something RIGHT NOW. Thank you, thank you, thank you." Sure enough, the date proved that it was just barely written. We were bummed because we had to hurry to our next appointment but we set up another time to come back and the little family was ecstatic to meet with us again.
It doesn't stop there.
So we go back the second time to visit. They invited a friend of theirs to listen to our message with them. They all gathered around us just super excited to hear everything that we had to say. We taught about the restoration and they all had incredible questions. At the end, the mom asked, "in your church, are there things you're not allowed to do or eat?" we were hesitant to jump right into the Word of Wisdom or anything like that in the first lesson with them. We told her that we would talk about that more in the future but she insisted that we give a little summary. As soon as we told her that we don't smoke she stopped us. She then said, "I know even more than this wasn't by accident... Yesterday I was sitting in my kitchen and randomly I decided right then and there to completely give up smoking. I had no reason why, I just did." (This story has a special place in my heart because I grew up hearing a very similar story from my dad, that happened with an investigator, when he served his mission.)
Needless to say, it was a great week. I'm excited to write more about the great things that are going on here while serving the Lord!
I hope all is well with you! You're in my thoughts and my prayers. As long as you are all reading daily from The Book of Mormon I know that I don't even need to worry about you. So do it.
Sok Szeretettel,
Alldredge Elder
Finally a picture of Elder Cox and I together.
A hobo's house 




















Miskolc


The picnic was right next to a woodsy area which, as you can see, was really pretty.

Elder Cox and I couldn't figure out how kids were supposed to play on this thing... There's solid asphault underneath it.

The beautiful city of Miskolc.