Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Week 40 April 30-May 7, 2013

Well, the end is here. Much to my dismay, I will be packing up today and leaving Pécs tomorrow morning. I'm going to try my hardest to keep this email upbeat and positive. Let's hope my tears don't break the keyboard.

This Saturday, the son of the first man I baptized here in Pécs will be baptized by his father. How cool is that? I'm really bummed I have to miss it--but I know it will be incredible nonetheless.

Today, I also bought a super rad hoodie from the Pécs University Psychology Department. I'm so stoked about it!

So yes, I am going to be transferred. I will now be serving in Miskolc which is almost as far away from Pécs as you can get as far as cities with missionaries go. It's a tad bigger than Pécs is. Much to my surprise (and much to the surprise of the entire mission) I have been called to be a Zone Leader. Which is pretty strange because I haven't even been a District Leader yet. While in Budapest tomorrow, I will be getting my international driver's license because the Zone Leaders here drive cars! I just found out that my new companion does not have his license so I'll get to do all of the driving. Let's see how this goes!

My new companion will be Elder Cox. I'm really excited to serve with him. We've become friends just from seeing each other in Budapest and such. I'm sure I'll have more information about him next week!

This week was a great week for us here. We went tracting last Monday evening on my birthday and we had an abnormal amount of success! I think it was the Lord giving me a little birthday present.

It's not for sure yet, but I might be able to come back to Pécs in a couple weeks because I'm the one who is supposed to baptize the really golden investigator I've been talking about. (By her request.) I'm hoping that will work out! If not, the point is that she gets baptized, right?

Speaking of her, she had our whole Sunday School class in tears this last Sunday. Her testimony of the true church is already extremely strong. It was incredible to listen to her tell the class her story and how grateful she was that I "finally knocked on her door". She also explained how she feels like she has finally "come home".

Well, this morning has been rough. As I was reflecting on these last few transfers, I remembered when I was in the MTC and I first heard about the city, Pécs. I had the most amazing feeling and I knew right then and there that I would serve there one day and that it would be incredible. Interesting how those kind of things work out, right?

We tracted into an insanely awesome young couple this week. They opened their window as we rang their doorbell on the street and we just told them who we were and why we were here and they lit up and let us right in. Looking at them, you would have never guessed that they would want to investigate the church, but they love everything that we've taught them so far and they're so excited to meet with us again!

One of our investigators brought up the fact that the scriptures always say that we should "fear God" and he asked us what that meant exactly. We, of course, answered that it is similar to "respecting God" and he had a hard time understanding that because he went on to explain the differences between fearing God and respecting Him. It was really interesting to listen to his perspective. It made me think a lot. We were able to have a good discussion about the similarities and differences between loving, respecting, and fearing God. It's quite the thing to think about... Especially because he put it into the perspective of a father. He explained that he wants his kids to love and respect him but he does not want his kids to fear him. He knows the things he would have to do to achieve both results. I came to the conclusion that while yes, fearing God means that we respect him, we should also be "afraid" of letting him down or falling short of our full potential as His children.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a million and a half things... I've got loads on my mind right now. Just the thought of having to pack today is discouraging. Nonetheless, life goes on. It's comforting to know that everything will work out, everything will be taken care of, and it's all part of something bigger than I can comprehend.

Something went wacky with my SD card... I think I picked up something sour on it. It's not showing the recent pictures I've taken... At all. This is a problem. Not one that I can deal with right now. Hopefully it will be fixed by next week!

I love you all, I hope all is well on your side of the waters. I'm excited to Skype soon!! I'll be asking you about what you've learned from The Book of Mormon lately! Get ready!

Sok Szeretettel,
Alldredge Elder