Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Week 9


Week 9:
Szervusztok Mindenki!
Jó napot kivánok!
 
I leave to go to the other side of the world in 12 days! Good earth!
 
We are expected to get our travel plans this Friday! So, my next weekly update should have my route to Hungary!
 
Today started consecration week. That means:
--I can only speak Hungarian until next Wednesday after my morning temple session. (By the way, my group will be the first group to do a session in the Provo temple since its cleaning.)
--I will be wearing the same tie every day for the whole week.
--I'll be getting up at 5:45 am everyday to study the language early before I am supposed to get ready.
--I won't be able to read any letters that are sent to me until next Wednesday morning.
--I will have at least 250 new vocabulary words memorized by the end of the week.
Sounds like a blast and a half, right?
 
Another random fact: I was actually the last person to speak English in my district before our consecration week started. Because I gave our "starting consecration week" prayer!
 
This week, our teacher had us practice sharing short messages while in a "public transportation" type situation. It was a lot of fun because we set up seats in a classroom like a bus and had a short period of time to try to get someone interested in a message of the gospel.
 
We also learned how to make say things "formal" this week... It's a pain. You speak really fancy in formal form. They directly translate to statements such as, "How does it please you to be?" (What's up?) or, "Where does it please you to be going?" (Were ya headed?). Kinda interesting. But what's funny about it is that we aren't allowed to talk like that to girls who are around our age--at ALL. I guess it comes off as extremely flirtatious.
 
Speaking of things we aren't supposed to say in Hungarian. We also learned that we aren't supposed to introduce our companion using the Hungarian word for "companion." If we were to do that, people would think we were gay lovers. I get a kick out of that. So, we actually just introduce them by saying, "this is my friend, ______ Elder."
 
Another odd thing we learned about the language this week is the word "-e"... yea--that's the actual word. You put it at the end of a sentence to make it mean "or not". So if I wanted to say "We can know that it's true or not" I would say "Tudhatjuk hogy igaz-e." ...Strange.
 
We've been starting to teach 40 minute long Hungarian lessons about 3 times a week lately. The first time I taught a 40 minute lesson about 4 weeks ago, I was worried that I was going to run out of things to say real quick! Now it's to the point where our teacher has to cut us off because we start to go overtime. Just goes to show how powerful the power of God is.
 
Well, I really wish I had some more interesting things to say. BUT do you know where to find the most interesting things in the entire world to read?? That's right. The Book of Mormon. Read it. Love it. Live it.
 
Szerretettel,
Alldredge Elder