Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Week 105 last week (May 12-20, 2014)


Az Utolsó:

Transfer Calls: After much anxiety and anticipation, Elder Tuttle and I received our transfer calls this morning! I will be moving to the American Fork area and my companion is yet to be determined. Elder Tuttle, however, will be staying in Pest and he will be serving with a really stellar Elder who I like a lot. At least it's comforting to know he'll be in good hands. In other news, my first born son, Elder Bennet, will be a father!! (He is going to train.) Which makes ME a grandpa! They grow up so fast... Yay for mission genealogy!

The Opera: This morning, all of the missionaries from Budapest were going to get together for a big basketball tournament here at the stake center. I was invited last night to go to an Opera at that same time with two other missionaries who also lack in basketball skills. SO, I went to that instead. My word, it was just like the movies. The whole thing was in German and they just belted out with a vocal vibrato for the loooonnnggest time. Not only were we pretty much the only males in the whole venue, but we were also the only ones under the age of 55. We shared a booth with two sweet old women. We couldn't see the subtitles so we had absolutely no idea what was going on. After the first hour an a half, the curtains went down and everyone started clapping. We got up to leave and the lady who gave us the tickets said, "don't go too far! That was only the first part out of three!!" We just about died. Luckily we all had other programs and things we needed to go to. So, we had to slip out. It was, however, super cool to experience a real live Opera. Especially in that incredible Opera house--but that was definitely a once in a lifetime thing.


Búcsú Étkezések: We were fed both lunch and dinner for the past week an a half! It was crazy! We just about died. Literally. These Hungarians know how to cook and dang, do they do it well. They don't mess around either with proportion sizes. Hungarian food, you will be missed.

BYU Orchestra: Hungary was visited this week by the BYU Orchestra. They came to our church services this Sunday which doubled our sacrament meeting attendance. Being surrounded by a bunch of Americans helped the thought of going home sink in a little more. Of course they came on the day that us Pest missionaries sang a special musical number (Nearer My God to Thee). Having two times more people than expected just made it that much more nerve racking. I love singing that song in Hungarian so for me, I had a great experience. Sunday evening they put on a big concert and we had a LOT of people there. They did an incredible arrangement of "A Child's Prayer". I loved it!

Baptisms: Elder Tuttle and I had the wonderful opportunity of baptizing our two "little brothers" this past Saturday. They've been soooo excited for their baptism. It was absolutely incredible. (I know I say that about every baptism, but it's true!!) When planning the whole thing, they both really wanted to give the closing and opening prayers. Good earth, if only you could hear these boys pray. Each of them had the congregation in tears. Their sincerity is clear and you really feel like they are speaking with their Father in Heaven. I baptized the younger brother and Elder Tuttle baptized the older one. They were so happy and afterward they told us, "I feel so light and clean!" It was the ideal way to end my service.

The End: I couldn't have imagined a better way to finish these best two years. The love was just flowing in from all sides--it was overwhelming. Goodbyes are so SO stinking hard. Especially these kind. Saying goodbye to friends and family for two years is one thing, this hurts my heart in a different way. Before coming here to email, I had my very last program as a missionary with an investigator. That was a rough thought on the bus ride back. I had the first 19 years of my life to prepare for these two years and I'll now have eternity to reflect on them. I love these people, this culture, these weird customs, the food, the language--everything. At the same time, I'm ready. I'm ready to go home. I'm ready to attend school, get a job, start a family, etc. I'm not afraid, I'm not nervous, I'm not depressed, I'm not ecstatic--just ready.

Well, I'll tell you the rest of my stories in person. This will suffice for now. (Momma, can you put a little information about my homecoming here? Thanks! I love you!)
HOMECOMING TALK: Sunday, May 25 at 1:00 PM at the LDS church located on the corner of 150 West 1120 North, American Fork, Utah. 
Dessert at our house after his talk!!

This Gospel is the true Gospel of Jesus Christ. This is his Church. He leads it today through the living prophet, Thomas S. Monson. God's Priesthood power has been restored to the earth enabling us to participate in ordinances essential for salvation. I know this, not because I received this knowledge from another person. No. I know it because God brought me to this understanding through the Holy Ghost. If we strive to live a pure life and live according to all the commandments we will be blessed and we will be happy. The Book of Mormon is true. I know it's true because I've read it and there's no doubt in my mind that it's not true. I would not have voluntarily come here if I didn't know these things were true. Man's perception of Truth is various--but God's Truth is one and it is eternal, just like the family.

Sok Szeretettel,
Alldredge Elder

Last English Class. (One of the ladies gave me the flag.)

I learned a lot more from this man than I feel I taught him. (Besides how to box.)

The best way to end a mission.

It was a beautiful event.


Opera!