Monday, November 4, 2013

Week 76 (October 28-November 4, 2013)


Nagyserű hetem volt!

Monday: Is the day I will NOT be emailing next week. It's time for the big transfers so I will once again be emailing on Tuesday. I'm excited to see what the Lord has in store for me!


Zone Conference: We were pleased to be visited by President Teixeira this week for our zone conference. (You can look his picture up in a Conference Ensign.) The conference was wonderful. I learned a ton and I already see the advice working for our benefit in our everyday work!


The 10 Commandments: So we had a single, 32 year old woman investigator who loved to meet with us. We had our last program with her a couple days ago because she wasn't keeping any commitments and she was too stuck on the Catholic Church. We brought the Elder's Quorrum president with us to teach her the Law of Chasity (to kind of get her to drop us). It sounds awful but it was the perfect plan. She is what we would call here a "pláza cica" which literally means "mall kitty"... You get the picture. She was a super nice lady and she had great intentions. Anyway, when we finished teaching the Law of Chastity she just said, "wow... I am SO glad the Catholic Church does not have this commandment." We replied with, "well... you believe in the 10 commandments, right?" and she said, "well of COURSE I do!!" we replied with, "yea... well, this is part of the 10 commandments." She couldn't wrap her head around it and the program was ended with one of those, "I don't know when I'll have time again... I'll call you."


Hitch-hiking: It was raining, late, and cold. We were in the middle of who-knows-where and the bus wasn't coming. Elder Ábrók had the brilliant idea that we should just hitchhike our way to the main street. I thought he was kidding but he started holding his thumb out to the few cars that occasionally passed by. "You're CRAZY!!" I exclaimed. I was blasted cold so after three minutes, I joined in too.
"We're dressed in all black, no one will stop for us." I soon realized. So the next time we saw a car coming I stripped off my suit coat so that I was just in a white shirt and tie and sure enough a 25 year old guy stopped his car and told us to get in! I was amazed!! He took us to the main road (about a 3 minute drive) and we were able to get his contact information!! I think it should be a new mode of finding--it worked great.


Conversion Story: so President Smith read this to the whole mission during the conference. As he began to read this story I thought to myself, "wow, another missionary had a really similar experience to one of mine!!" Of course, President withheld our names as he read it. By the end I realized that this was the man I baptized right before I left Miskolc. I asked President after the conference and he assured me that this came from that same man! It is a beautiful story so President sent me a copy, here it is for you all:


My situation was hopeless, I was beset from every side and it was in this situation I began speaking with the Lord, asking that he would either call me home, or communicate with me so I might be able to even somewhat help him in his glory. I then opened the Bible and read the following: "Behold, I stand at the door and knock." Then, in reality, "knock, knock." I did not dare believe me ears. And neither did I believe me eyes once they caught sight of those two angels sent by Him who then gave me the pure source of the waters of life. The two angels by names, because they deserve it, were Elder Alldredge and the first occasion Elder cox--who was later switched with Elder Nabrotzky. I give thanks to our Heavenly Father for them.
When I was baptized, I felt as if all of the waste which was stuck to me was cast off from me. White and cleansed I emerged once again new, entrusted by the Good Lord with a sacred mission. At Confirmation, the Holy Ghost, with fire, burned into my soul a new chapter of my existence. I feel that I have received of him the requisite strength, faith, trust, hope, and love. And now, like a small child learning anew how to live and exist--following the way back to our one and only Heavenly Father. I know I can follow Jesus Christ's footsteps by serving him in the world amongst men.

If that's not incredible, I don't know what is.

Similar beauty can be found in The Book of Mormon. I know I probably don't need to remind to you to read it this week. At least, I hope I don't.

Sok Szeretettel,
Alldredge Elder


In a phone booth to get out of the rain!