Monday, April 21, 2014

Week 101 (April 15-21, 2014)

Kellemes Húsvétot!! 

Easter: Even though it's Monday, it's still Easter here!! This is the day where boys go around and spray girls with perfume or water and then the girls have to give them chocolate or money. I haven't the faintest idea how this tradition ever came to be, but I do know one thing: Hungarians have it right. Yesterday, however, one of the American families who live here in the city invited us over for an Easter meal. The last time I had dinner and hung out with an American family was two years ago! It was super fun and the food was amazing.


"Can I try?": So this morning, all of the Budapest missionaries got together to play some soccer in a big park in the city. It was super rad! Some Elders brought their whips and in between games we would all take turns trying to crack it. Some of us were good, some of us were learning. All of the sudden, a bácsi (really old man) slowly walks up to us with a cane and asks, "can I try..?" He was seriously really old but of course we let him try it. The next thing we know, he puts his cane down and starts whipping like nothing we have ever seen before. He was cracking it so loud that our ears started to hurt. He was doing tricks and just going absolutely nuts. It was awesome. After he finished we were all in awe and started clapping. He picked up his cane, returned the whip without a word and slowly walked away.


Paprikás Csirke: An awesome member made Elder Tuttle and myself some Paprikás Csirke for his birthday last week. It's by far my most favorite Hungarian cuisine. My word. It was incredible and I know Elder Tuttle enjoyed it just as much as I did.


Back to Buda: This past Saturday I was able to return to Buda for a baptism. The hot water wasn't working for the font so we tried to boil some water in some pans and pour it in but nothing was working. The water was freezing. We might as well have done it in a lake. The person being baptized asked me to give the talk about baptism. It was a really special experience and beautiful event.


Loving Life: I don't know how we got so lucky, but we seriously get to meet with incredible people all day everyday. We look forward to being able to talk to these people, teach them, and learn so much from them. I could sit here and try to type it all out to you, but I couldn't do it justice. The point is, we are loving it here with these amazing people. There's nothing better.


Well, I hope everyone's Easter was filled with family time, candy, and remembrance of the Savior. If you think about it, the fact that he conquered death is pretty significant. It's proof that this life is not the end. We need to live our lives knowing that there will be another stage after we die. We have the ability everyday to choose how it will be.


Wanna learn about the resurrection? Alma 40:23. Oh hey, look at that! It's found in The Book of Mormon.

Sok Szeretettel,
Alldredge Elder


Having Elder Tuttle's Birthday lunch. (but he's not in the picture!)

Easter with an American family



This is the closest I've ever been to Parliament.

A different view from the river.