Monday, January 7, 2013

Week 23 in Hungary (Jan.1-7, 2013)

Szervusztok Mindenki!

Wow, New Year's Eve was insane here. The main square was just filled with people. There were shops, booths, drunkards, concerts, and enough fireworks to make one think there was another World War occurring. The fireworks started at midnight and didn't end until about 2 am. That was fun to try to sleep with. There were even fireworks going on literally right outside of our window--and when I say literally, I mean they were hitting our window. It was quite the fiesta.

We didn't know quite what to do on January 1st because next to no one was out on the streets and people were too hungover to answer their doors. So we decided to clean up the main square for a few hours. We grabbed some brooms and garbage sacks and went to work. We filled about 3 sacks full of empty alcohol containers and used fireworks. Dodging all of the spots of vomit just made it that more exciting. BUT we did have quite a few people stop and commend us for doing it and ask us what we were doing, why, and why we were here. Perfect! It turned out to be a great way of finding, who knew?

I caught word that the baptism in Sopron went great this last weekend! I wish so much I could have been there but I'm just so glad she was baptized.

Speaking of baptism, we set up a new baptismal date this week! It's the 77 year old who is just incredible! We went to his apartment planning on teaching the Word of Wisdom. When we sit down, the first thing he does is offer us some red wine. "Perfect... this is just stinking perfect" we thought as he went to get us the water we requested. He has been progressing really well for weeks and we were planning on asking him to be baptized that day. We weren't sure how he was going to take what we were about to teach him, but we trusted in the Lord and proceeded. We taught the W.O.W. and he asked, "so, even just a little bit of alcohol isn't allowed?" and we answered, "honestly, it's not... it's what God has commanded." and to our pleasant surprise, he replied with, "well.... let's see... I haven't had any alcohol for about 20 to 22 days... I guess I can go forever!" Wow, it was such a powerful experience. We asked him if he would be baptized in February right after that and he immediately answered "yes." Yay for blessings!

We were also in Budapest this weekend because it was our turn for interviews... It's going to be interesting to see what's going to happen these next few transfers. Apparently, I'm going to be "stretched"... whatever that means!

Things are swell with me. Things are moving right along... I don't know what made me so lucky to serve these incredible people. Must've done something right.
Do something right for yourself and, oh yes, read out of The Book of Mormon.

Szeretettel,
Alldredge Elder
 my new PJ pants from my mom for Christmas!

 Eating at a fancy Hungarian restaurant with the Sister Missionaries.