Monday, January 28, 2013

Week 26 in Hungary (Jan. 21-28, 2013)

CSÁKÁNY!?
I learned that word yesterday. It literally means "pick-ax" but you can use it for "what's up?" 

Wow, so things are going so great on my side of the waters. This past week, my companion and I achieved "Super Standard" which was really exciting! We noticed on Friday that we were pretty close to having all of the required numbers. So the past few days we worked on finishing it up! It was grand. Getting our last program with a less active member was a bit of a hassle BUT on the bright side, we found out where a lot of less active members DON'T live and we found the ones that want nothing to do with us as well! I guess that's always good to know. Right?

I guess I haven't told much about my new companion. His name is Elder Smith. He's been in Pécs for a super long time now. So he's showing me all the ropes before he will probably, very sadly, have to leave me next transfer. He's from Colorado and he studied film at BYU before his mission. We're really great friends already and we work really well with each other.

Last P-day we went with the other missionaries on a little hike. We went all around the hills and it was incredible! The view was so pretty even though it's January. I can't image what it looks like in the summer! It was really a blast. We were able to find all sorts of cool little sight seeing things. Lame part: the place we usually go to use computers to write emails was closed for today, and the place I'm in right now doesn't let people plug stuff in. Bummer! I have lots of pictures I wanted to send this week. I guess I'll just have to wait for next week and send double.

On a sour note, my companion and I got the spirit sucked right out of our faces on more than one occasion this week. We met some sort of Satan worshiper while tracting... Scariest moment on my mission. He seemed nice when he opened the door and let us in. Then we sat down in a really nasty, dirty house. He started rolling and smoking some kind of drug in front of us (we still don't quite know exactly what it was...) and then as we started teaching him, he stopped us and said, "wait I have something you want to watch." In a dash, he starts playing a youtube video on his laptop then he sets it in front of us and leaves the room... then closes the door... we just looked at each other as it starts to play and we could just feel ourselves getting absolutely drained. There's not really any other better way of explaining it. We didn't know what to do and so we just tried to ignore it and talk to each other and just as we were about to turn it off ourselves, he came into the room making strange noises and not creating any words. He started trying to give us things and it was just insane... Before we left, he looked and me and said I had a beautiful face. That's nice, I guess. Anywho, that's the tip of the iceberg of that story for y'all. OH and the second time was a guy who brought his pastor to our program and we sat there for an hour while they tried to get us to bible bash with them... We were told we're going to hell and getting punished twice as harsh for teaching false doctrine. It was SO hard for my companion and I to bite our tongues because we both really, really love to argue and debate with people just in general. We promised each other we wouldn't argue once during the whole program. We knew they just wanted us to fight back and they said, "we know you guys are trained to just agree with people the whole time and then once you find common ground you deceive them with your lies." It was a very very very rough program but we were able to exercise some great self-control.

On some better notes, we had some great experiences while tracting! The first door we knocked on during the week was answered by a really nice couple and their two children. (the husband wasn't wearing any pants for some reason..) we talked to them for a little bit and they asked, "do you guys want some hot sandwiches?" We had just had dinner but we were willing to eat a delicious Hungarian sandwich so that we could have the chance to talk to them some more. They were extremely nice and we were able to talk to them for a quite a bit! We ended up spending over 45 minutes with them in their apartment. We went back a couple days later to give them a copy of The Restoration DVD we had mentioned and once again, the husband was pants-less. Great, cute family though!

I got a call from the Elders back in Kecskemét the other day to hear the great news that one of the investigators I taught a lot while I was there called them up during the week and said she wants to be baptized as soon as possible! I'm really pleased with that.

We were fed dinner yesterday by a really really nice family. The main course was a giant bowl of chicken liver, along with this stuff called "hurka" which is a kind of sausage that has all sorts of fun pig parts in it. Such as heart, lungs, etc. This was all accompanied by extremely spicy chicken wings. It was SO GOOD! I love the food here.

Well that's about it for me and my week! I hope everyone is doing swell. Read out of The Book of Mormon, it's a one-way ticket to a better relationship with God and our Savior.

Sok Szeretettel,
Alldredge Elder