Monday, October 7, 2013

Week 72 (September 30-October 7, 2013)


Milyen csodálatos volt a Konferencía??

Poker Sticks: So you know those little poker sticks that the people use in the movies all the time while their outside picking up trash? Yea. We totally used some of those last week. It was empowering. It's a rush to stab trash. I enjoyed myself. Simple mind, simple pleasures.

Conference: I had to watch conference in Hungarian. I was able to understand it all but it's just not the same with a translator. Like when you can tell that President Eyring is tearing up but the translator's voice doesn't get all tender and raspy. Or when Elder Holland is just going at it but the translator is just straight and monotone. It's really just not the same. Nonetheless, I enjoyed it and I was thoroughly enlightened. Here's a scary thought: this was my 3/4 Conference for my mission.

Invitations to Conference: I spent a couple of hours making a bunch of little Conference invitations by hand this week. We wanted to give them to as many people as possible. I fancily wrote down all the times, the address, our number--everything. They looked great. We gave a ton of them out and lots of people told us they would come watch it. Well, the one person who came was a little old lady that we happened to meet with yesterday morning before the first session. I had run (ran?) out of the invitations by that time so we just wrote the Sunday times on a little sticky note. She ended up being the only one who came to watch it with us. I'm not going to tell you what I think of this... Rather, let it work within yourselves--interesting situation, isn't it?

4 Little Kittens: As we entered an apartment complex to start tracting the other day, we heard a strange noise. We looked into the "unwanted advertisement box" underneath the mail boxes and found 4 little kittens inside! We let them free and began to tract. When we came back down after we finished the building the little kittens were just running around the groundfloor having a great time. I don't know why I'm typing this story--it doesn't have much of a point. I guess the point is that it was super random. Who leaves 4 baby cats in an "unwanted advertisement box"??


McDonald's Girl: As a district, we all went to eat at McDonald's for lunch after a district meeting. There were a lot of us so we obviously turned some heads. The register girl who took my order was like:
"are you guys from some sort of school?"
And I was like, "no no, we're actually missionaries. We meet with people here and tell them about the Church of Jesus Christ."
And she was like, "oh wow, do you have some sort of book or pamphlet you could give me about your church?"
And I was like, " of course!! after I'm done eating I'll bring some things to you."
And she was like, "kay!"
So after I was done, I got a copy of The Book of Mormon, stuck a card in it with the Pest Elder's number on it (we were in their area), stood in line for a bit, and I gave it to her. Then I was like,
"here you go! This book is really special in our Church. It's like the Bible and it talks about Christ and his dealings with the ancient inhabitants of the American Continent!"
And she was like, "oh wow!! This is so great!! Thank you so much! How much do I have to pay for it?"
And I was like, "No no, it's totally free! But could I maybe get your name and number so that we could set up a time to meet and talk more about it?"
And she was like, "sure! here you go!"
And the rest is history. We'll see what comes of it. She's going to make a great church member though--I'll tell you that much.

Hey, I love you all. I feel great. The work here is great. The zone training we finished planning will be great on Wednesday and I think you are all great as well.

Read from The Book of Mormon. Please. It's great.

Sok Szeretettel,
Alldredge Elder